Finding the best airsoft store can seem like a daunting task. After all there are big box retailers, crossover paintball + airsoft stores, fields, and airsoft stores that all sell similar products.
The unique thing about airsoft though, is that if you're talking to someone who hasn't played the sport, or tried out different guns and gear, then you probably are not going to get very good information. That's because what airsoft gun you should buy depends on many factors such as:
- How well do you treat your gear? If you're like me (kind of lazy) you will need something that can hold up week after week of play and just work with minimal maintenance.
- How much range do you need? This really depends on your play style. If you like to sit in the back and snipe people it makes sense to pursue a long range rifle like a sniper rifle. If you're a fan of raiding buildings on the other hand, you're going to want something that's not as long and can shoot fast.
- How much money do you have to spend on a gun? Start with your budget and work your way up as you want to upgrade. The cool thing about airsoft guns (especially AEG's- Automatic Electric Guns) is that you can upgrade them at a later point.
- What type of power do you want? Most airsoft guns are either electric (AEG's), gas or spring powered. Depending on the climate conditions of where you're playing you need to make the best decision for YOU.
So while big box stores will try to sell you the 1-2 models they have in stock they are just trying to move the product. Not trying to fit you with the best product for you. At Fox Airsoft we do things differently. We know that your purchase is an investment for yourself.
Let's dive into the nuances of Airsoft that you should know about.
Different Types of Airsoft Guns
There are hundreds of different types of airsoft guns from different manufacturers. Each has its pros and its cons.
Generally speaking, cheaper airsoft guns are going to be cheaper in quality. This is typically due to the type of materials and quality control they can afford to invest in the production. There are 3 main types of powered airsoft guns. They are:
Electric Airsoft Guns
We commonly refer to these as Automatic Electric Guns or AEG's for short. These are battery-powered guns that have a mechanical and electrical system that drives a piston to shoot the BB's. These are great for chilly weather (not too cold as battery performance can be affected) and most climates.
Gas Airsoft Guns
With gas guns you typically find that they are powered by either C02 or Green gas. Both of these can be susceptible to temperature changes and green gas is more susceptible to this. They make both gas pistols and gas rifles.
Spring Powered Airsoft Guns
Spring-powered guns are mostly manual action where you physically have to pull back a bolt on a sniper rifle or slide the top of the gun back to power it each time you wan to fire it.
How To Choose The Right Airsoft Gun
This is a loaded question! I can tell you what I always liked (AK-47) but that's because I liked the longer barrel for range, durability, and the look and feel of it. But at the end of the day it all boils down to two things:
1) Utility - What are you using it for? What types of games are you going to play?
2) Looks - What do you want to be seen with? What will make you look like a badass playing with your friends?
It's best to analyze where you're going to play, who you are going to play with, what types of roles are needed for your team, and the average engagement distance to come up with the perfect rifle for you.
Airsoft Gun Safety
I frequently refer to airsoft games but make no mistake. Airsoft guns are NOT toys. You should always take safety precautions when playing airsoft and always treat airsoft guns as REAL FIREARMS. Here are a few rules to help you with this:
1) Never point an airsoft gun at another person
2) Always wear eye and full face protection
3) Never put your finger on the trigger until you have identified your target and are ready to shoot
4) Always assume the rifle is hot (active and ready to fire)
Accidents do happen and sometimes airsoft guns will fire for no reason.
Where to Buy Airsoft Guns
The only place to buy Airsoft Guns is Fox Airsoft. I mean, of course, you could buy them somewhere else but I guarantee you won't receive our level of support and knowledge. Go ahead and give us a shot. We're happy to help you and we want you as a lifetime customer.